Kat works at Flinders University and tutors the Master of Speech Pathology cohort two half days per week. She also provides clinical observations to students and recent graduates (with parent consent) from time to time. Kat mentors new graduate Speech Pathologists and finds this role very rewarding.
Prior to becoming a Speech Pathologist, Kat worked as a Junior Primary School Teacher. Kat has a solid understanding of the expectations placed on children when they attend school. She believes in building children’s skills, confidence and resilience through therapy. Kat understands that children are able to do their best learning when they feel happy and safe.
Attendance to regular professional development is crucial to ensure that Speech Pathologists keep up to date with the latest evidence and changes to intervention. Kat is a Certified Practicing Speech Pathologist and a Member of Speech Pathology Australia. She continues Professional Development and has completed the professional development outlined below:
- Certificate of attendance: 2013 Laryngology 2 Day Workshop (Voice & Dysphagia)
- Sequential Oral Sensory (SOS) basic training workshops – The SOS approach to feeding (18 months – 6 years)
- Sequential Oral Sensory (SOS) advanced training workshops (Working with 6-18 months & 6-18 years: The Food Scientist Approach)
- ‘Effectively assessing and managing common feeding problems in infants and children’ workshop. Presented by Ms. Sarah Starr.
- ‘Effectively assessing and managing infants and children with severe oral hypersensitivity and feeding aversion’ workshop. Presented by Ms. Sarah Starr.
- Lidcombe Program Trainers Consortium 2014, 2016 & 2018
- Aspect (Autism) 2 Day Workshop
- Certified Hanen: It Takes Two To Talk presenter
- Certificate of Completion for Clinical Supervision Training
- DDS/DMSS trained
- ‘Feeding Relationship & Eating Competence’ – presented by Ellyn Satter
- The Sydney Paediatric Feeding & Dysphagia Conference 2015
- Key Word Sign
- ‘A series of topical issues in paediatric dysphagia: Fussy eating; chewing strategies; baby led weaning and medication administration’ workshop. Presented by Dr. Julie Cichero.
- ‘Evidence-based management of phonological impairment in children’ presented by Dr. Elise Baker.
- 2018 Laryngology Society of Australasia Conference